The Twilight ZonePrint This Post
“This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality: you’re on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable…Go as far as you like on this road. Its limits are only those of mind itself. Ladies and Gentlemen, you’re entering the wondrous dimension of imagination. Next stop….The Twilight Zone.”
Now, just four weeks before the November 8 General Election at which we will elect a new President, 34 Members of the United States Senate and all 435 Members of the United States House of Representatives as well as various statewide and local officials, one could reasonably think that they were entering The Twilight Zone. Yet with all that is happening it is hard to imagine that even the creators of the television series The Twilight Zone could have ever dreamed up what we are witnessing today. Consider for a moment the following:
- In the race for President the Democrat, Hillary Clinton, has survived an investigation by the FBI into her e-mails and has endured continued attacks on herself and her husband, Former President Bill Clinton, surrounding the Former President’s behavior with women and the manner in which Hillary supposedly defended her husband; and
- In the race for President the Republican, Donald Trump, has seen video evidence of very crude and inappropriate comments about women become public and has responded in a most bizarre manner. Instead of issuing a contrite apology and moving on, Trump issued a form of apology, then attacked Hillary and Bill Clinton and has now gone nuclear in his attacks on his own party; and
- Donald Trump has also been quoted as saying that he was now “unshackled” and has promised that when, not if, additional tapes and/or videos are released that he will double down on his attacks on Hillary and Bill Clinton; and
- Rather than reaching out to Members of the Senate and the House and seeking wise counsel Trump has taken to attacking the very Republican Leaders that could help him immeasurably in the final four weeks of the campaign. The genie is now out of the bottle and once out, there is no way that genie is about to return to the quiet and safe confines of the bottle.
- In Alabama there is the continuing saga of a Governor who is under investigation by a Legislative Committee that is considering impeachment; and
- The Former Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives was convicted of 12 counts of felony ethics violations and removed from office; and last but not least
- The Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court has been suspended without pay for the remaining 26 months of his term. This is the second time that the Chief Justice has been removed from office for ignoring the mandate of a Federal Court. This second removal/suspension is being appealed so there is no final disposition at this writing.
When one considers the introduction to The Twilight Zone shown above, the first sentence pretty much says it all – “This highway leads to the shadowy tip of reality: you’re on a through route to the land of the different, the bizarre, the unexplainable…” As we approach these final four weeks of the campaign consider the words of the haggard secretary in the cartoon most have seen when she is quoted as saying “I have been lied to, cheated on, taken advantage of… the only reason I am still here is to see what the hell happens next”. Stay tuned and imagine what will happen next.
The Alabama House will reconvene in Regular Session at Noon on Tuesday, February 7, 2017
The Alabama Senate will reconvene in Regular Session at Noon on Tuesday, February 7, 2017
The views and opinions contained in this report do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the clients of Public Strategies, LLC.